Help with Online Forms
On this page
1. How do I create my own password?
Your password must be at least six characters but no more than 10 characters in length. It may include alphabetical or numeric characters. The password login is case-sensitive; therefore, be deliberate in your use of lowercase or uppercase letters when creating your password. We recommend that your password include both letters and numbers (but not special characters). You will no longer be required to change your password periodically. However, for your own protection, you are encouraged to change your password regularly.
For security reasons, if you incorrectly input your password three times your account will be suspended. To re-activate your account, contact our helpdesk by telephone at 613-995-4273, or by email at email@example.com. What if I forget my password?
In order to maintain a certain level of security, we suggest that you write down your password and keep it in a safe place. If you forget your password, do not re-register yourself. Instead, enter your email address, click “Forgot your password?” and follow the instructions. Your password will be sent to the email address we have on file.4. How do I change my password?
You must follow these steps in order to change your password:
- Log in with your primary email address and password.
- Click “My Account” at the top of your Portfolio.
- Enter your current password, your new password and your password confirmation.
- Click “Save” to activate your new password.
To change your primary email address, follow these steps:
- Log in with your primary email address and password.
- Click “My Account” at the top of your Portfolio.
- Enter your new email address and click “Save”.
6. How do I create an online form or curriculum vitae (CV)?
Once you have successfully logged in, you will be transferred to the My Portfolio screen. A CV will be created for you automatically. Click your name to complete it. In addition, you may also create a blank form by clicking “Create New Form.” Once your form has been created, you may click the name of the funding opportunity to access applications that are in progress.
7. Can participants create multiple CVs?
Participants (applicants, co-applicants and collaborators) should complete or update their CVs in their own account. To ensure your record is kept up to date, you can maintain only one online CV per email address. Applicants, however, can create multiple applications.
10. Can I use my browser's tools to navigate?
You cannot use your browser’s tools (Back/Forward buttons and Refresh/Reload Screen buttons) to navigate from screen to screen when filling in your online form or CV. If you do use these buttons, you will lose any unsaved information.
11. How do I know which fields are mandatory?
Mandatory fields are marked by boldfaced labels. These mandatory designations indicate the minimum requirements in order for your application to be reviewed. If you forget to complete any of the mandatory fields, you will be prompted to complete them when you use the “Verify” function for your CV or application in the My Portfolio screen.
12. Can I use “copy and paste” to fill in fields?
You have the option of typing the information directly into the fields or pasting text from your own word processor.
13. Can I include special characters in my online form?
You can include only regular text (uppercase and lowercase). The system will not accept underlined text, bold or italics, script or formulas, curved or slanted apostrophes, double quotation marks or long dashes (i.e., non-ASCII characters). To eliminate any non-ASCII characters, save the file in a “text only” format.
14. I selected an entry using the "List..." button and I can't see the complete text. What do I do?
After selecting an entry using the “List...” button, the text will pop into the box. Due to field length limitations, you may not see the complete entry until you have saved the information on the screen and printed it. Click the “Preview” button and print the PDF form to make certain that the selection is correct.
15. What happens when I click the "Verify" button?
When you click “Verify”, the system ensures that all mandatory sections and fields on your application form or CV have been completed. The system will then generate a verification report that lists the information to be provided or corrected before your form is considered complete. Once your form has been verified, the word “Checked” will appear in the bottom right-hand corner of the first page of your printed application form or CV.
16. Why do the words “PLEASE VERIFY” or “DRAFT” appear on the first page of my online application form or CV?
If, when you are previewing an application form or your CV, the words “PLEASE VERIFY” or “DRAFT” appear on the first page, it means you have not yet successfully verified the data. If that occurs, go to your My Portfolio screen and click the “Verify” button. The system will then generate a verification report that either confirms your application form/CV is complete or lists the fields to be completed or corrected. Once you have completed or corrected the information, “PLEASE VERIFY” or “DRAFT” will disappear from your preview.
17. How do I select the initial language of the form?
The form will be created according to the language of the list of available forms (e.g., if the list of available forms is in French, the form you create will be in French).
18. How do I change the language of my online forms?
To change your form or CV's language after you have passed the Registration screen, you must click “Français” in the top menu bar. This will enable you to toggle between English and French.
19. My form language is French. Why does the “Cancel” button in my pop-up window not say “Annuler”?
Unfortunately, we have no control over the language of the buttons in the pop-up windows. The text in the title bar and on the buttons are determined by your browser (i.e., if you've downloaded the French version of current browsers such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, the text will appear in French; otherwise, the text will appear in English).
20. I have completed an online form in French and the characters look unusual. What do I do?
If you are typing French characters and they look unusual (using Windows), you should use the Roman-ISO character set:
- Go to Control Panel and click “Regional and Language Options”.
- Click “Advanced”.
- Under Code page conversion tables, scroll down and check off “28591 (ISO 8859-1 Latin 1)”.
- Click “Apply”, then “OK”.
21. What kind of documents can I attach?
All electronic attachments must be saved as PDF files. The online application form system will not accept any other format (e.g., Word, Excel, etc.). Each attachment must meet the required specifications for page length and paper size e.g., the Detailed Description allows a maximum of six 8.5” x 11” pages).
22. Is my data automatically saved when I change screens?
No. You will be prompted to save your data before you exit a screen or select another screen. We recommend that you save your work periodically (i.e., every 10-15 minutes). For security purposes, your session will be terminated after 60 minutes from your last interaction with our system (e.g., Save, Preview, etc.) and you will have to log in to the system again.
Note: Entering data or clicking the “List...” button are not considered interactions.
23. How do I print my online form or CV?
To print your online form or CV, you can either click the “Preview” button located at the top or bottom of each screen or you can go back to the My Portfolio screen. Select the form or CV that you wish to print and click “Preview.” This will launch Adobe Reader and transfer the information that you have entered in the form. You may then print the application using the “Print” command in the File toolbar. To print on 8.5" x 11" paper, select the “Fit to Page” option in the printing window to be sure that the text prints within the page margins.
You may print your form at any time while you are still working on it. Once your form is complete, you can verify that the required information has been entered by clicking “Verify” on the My Portfolio screen. Once your form has been verified, the word “Checked” will appear in the bottom right-hand corner on the first page of your printed application form or CV.
24. I'm having printer problems. What can I do? Not all printers can easily print forms. If you can't print your form or if only parts of the form are printing, save your application form (PDF file) on a portable storage device and print it using a high-capacity, high-speed printer at a local institution (library, university, etc.), or try printing your application one page at a time.
Note: If you receive an Error 404 message while trying to print your form, wait five to 10 seconds and try again. Click the “Back” button located on your browser’s tool bar, then click the “Preview” button again.
25. When submitting my application form electronically, how do I submit my CV? do I submit my CV? Once you have completed your application form and verified it for completeness, all CVs (those of the applicant and of any team members) will be electronically submitted along with your application form. To submit your form, you must click the “Submit” button, which will appear on your Portfolio screen next to the “Preview/Print” button.
26. Can you give me some tips on how to fill out a PDF application form?
We recommend that you compile your application information in a word processor document. Once completed, you can then copy and paste this information into the PDF application form. You can also print a blank copy of the PDF form and complete a draft using a pen or pencil. When your draft is done, type the information onto the fillable PDF. Then proofread it carefully. Your data will print only when you exit the field you've just completed. When you are certain there are no mistakes, print a copy and go to the next page.
27. Can I save my data using a fillable PDF form?
Adobe Reader does not allow you to save a PDF document. You must purchase Adobe PDF Writer in order to save a PDF document.
28. Whom should I contact if I need technical support? If you have problems with SSHRC’s online application form system, contact our helpdesk by phone at 613-995-4273 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can help you more promptly if you leave a detailed message, including your name, area code and telephone number; your question; and the name of the funding opportunity to which your enquiry relates.
If you have specific questions regarding the funding opportunity to which you are applying (e.g., eligibility requirements, attachments section of the form, etc.), contact the program officer responsible for your funding opportunity.
29. When is technical support available?
Technical support is available between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (Eastern) Monday through Friday.
During peak periods technical support will be available as follows:
|Peak period extended hours|
|September 13 - December 17||8 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
30. When can I expect maintenance and upgrades to the system?
Maintenance and upgrades are scheduled to take place Monday to Friday between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., and on Saturdays between 8 a.m. and noon, if necessary. Normally, the system will remain available during these times.
- Date modified: