How to Apply
Each SSHRC grant, fellowship and scholarship funding opportunity currently has its own application process. To apply for funding through any of SSHRC’s funding opportunities:
- Determine if your research falls under SSHRC’s mandate by reviewing the Selecting a Funding Agency page. For more information on eligibility, see the Eligibility section below.
- Determine to which SSHRC funding opportunity your application would be most suited by viewing the complete list of SSHRC funding opportunities.
- Carefully read the description for your selected funding opportunity thoroughly to determine:
- your personal eligibility;
- the context, requirements and deadlines;
- the value and duration of funding offered;
- details of the evaluation and adjudication process; and
- any additional information.
- Once your funding opportunity is opened to applications (for most funding opportunities, approximately two months before the application deadline), review the application instructions by selecting “Instructions” from the “Apply” column in the grid atop the description.
- According to your instructions, click on the appropriate application forms, also found in the “Apply” section of the same grid.
- Carefully review your application as you fill it out, and ensure that you have provided any additional information requested in the appropriate formats, and contacted any required resources as outlined in your instructions.
Check the “Results announced” section of the grid atop your funding opportunity description to learn when funding decisions will be announced.
Anyone participating in SSHRC-funded research activities must not be under SSHRC sanction for financial or research misconduct.
For most funding opportunities, applicants (principal investigators) must be affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution. Researchers not affiliated with a Canadian postsecondary institution are eligible to apply as co-applicants to selected SSHRC funding opportunities and as research collaborators to any SSHRC-supported project. Eligibility criteria specific to each funding opportunity are detailed in the individual descriptions.
Scholarships and Fellowships
For all scholarship and fellowship funding opportunities other than the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program and the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada. For detailed eligibility criteria, please refer to the individual descriptions.
Adjudication of Applications
SSHRC grants and fellowships are awarded through independent, national, merit review processes. To learn more about these processes as they apply to a specific funding opportunity, view the Adjudication and Evaluation section of the description.
- Date modified: