1. Why has SSHRC been moving to a new Research Portal?
As part of our process of continuous improvement, we are committed to simplifying our application process. SSHRC’s Research Portal provides a single point of entry for applicants, reviewers, committee members, institutions and partners. The Research Portal is used to manage application and merit review processes, acceptance of awards, notification of results, and reporting. It also complies with the Government of Canada’s standards for accessibility, usability and interoperability.
2. Does the Research Portal apply to all SSHRC funding opportunities?
Not currently. SSHRC is phasing in its use of the Research Portal, starting with its Insight Development Grants. Other funding opportunities will be migrated to the Research Portal in the coming years.
We will advise you well in advance of other funding opportunities migrating to the Research Portal. In the meantime, applicants to other funding opportunities will continue to use SSHRC’s legacy web-based application forms.
3. Why do I have two accounts—one for the Research Portal and another for the Canadian Common CV?
SSHRC’s Research Portal and the Canadian Common CV (CCV) are two separate systems, each with its own portal. SSHRC is adopting the two systems concurrently, introducing the use of the CCV for each funding opportunity at the same time as that opportunity moves to the Research Portal.
The Research Portal is based on a proven software platform configured to SSHRC’s needs, and is administered in-house. The CCV is a web-based application that provides a single, common approach to gathering CV information required by a network of federal, provincial and not-for-profit research funding organizations, and facilitates applications by users to these participating agencies, including SSHRC.
4. How do I create an account for the Research Portal?
Go to the Create Your Account Profile page and follow the instructions.
5. What should I do if my “Password Recovery” fails?
Contact us if you cannot recover your password. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern).
6. How do I re-activate a locked account?
Contact us if your account has been locked. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern).
7. How do I change my email address?
Contact us to change your email address. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern).
8. What browsers are supported by the Research Portal?
- Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10
- Google Chrome
9. How do I turn off “Compatibility View” for Internet Explorer 9 and 10?
In Compatibility View, websites are displayed as if you were viewing them in a previous version of Internet Explorer. This will often correct display and/or functionality problems. If Internet Explorer recognizes a web page that isn’t compatible, you will see the “Compatibility View” button appear on your browser’s address bar.
To disable this feature, click the “Compatibility View” button. The icon will change from a solid colour to an outline.
10. Can I use my web browser’s menu to navigate the Research Portal?
To avoid losing any unsaved information, save your data as you go and do not use your browser’s navigation tools (e.g., the “Back,” “Forward,” “Refresh” or “Reload” buttons).
11. How do I know which fields are mandatory in the Research Portal?
Mandatory fields are marked “Required.” For details, follow your funding opportunity’s instructions, available onscreen in your Research Portal application.
12. How do I create an application in the Research Portal?
Within the “Applicant” tab, select “Create application.” Choose a funding opportunity from the list, and then click “Create” to the right of the screen.
13. How do I change my preferred correspondence language?
You can set your language preferences in the “User Profile” section within the “Profile” tab.
14. Can I change the language interface after I have started to fill in the application?
Yes. However, to avoid losing information, you must save your data before you change the interface language on the portal.
15. Will my data be saved automatically when I move from one step to the next?
Yes. However, to avoid losing any unsaved information, save your data frequently and do not use your browser’s navigation tools (e.g., the “Back,” “Forward,” “Refresh” or “Reload” buttons).
16. Can I cut and paste information to complete text boxes?
Yes. Cutting and pasting information will save you time.
17. What do the messages identifying the status of my application mean?
- In Progress: Application has been created but not yet completed.
- Returned: Application has been returned to the applicant by the administrator (e.g., research administrator, student liaison officer, liaison officer) for required changes.
- Received by Administrator: Application has been completed and submitted by the applicant to the administrator at the university, college, CEGEP or not-for-profit organization.
- Received by Agency: Application has been received by SSHRC.
- Deleted: Application has been removed from applicant’s account.
18. How do I preview and print my application?
You can preview and print both your full application and SSHRC CCV in PDF format via the Research Portal. After clicking “Preview” at the bottom of each page, you will see the printing options.
While your data may be reorganized to serve specific user needs (e.g., merit reviewers), the preview and print step will confirm for you exactly what information you are submitting to SSHRC.
SSHRC Canadian Common CV
Refer to the Canadian Common CV: Frequently Asked Questions.
19. How do I submit my application and SSHRC CCV?
Once your application has been verified within the Research Portal, you will have the option of submitting. Your uploaded SSHRC CCV will automatically be submitted along with your application and any other attachments.
20. How do I know if my application and SSHRC CCV were successfully submitted?
A list of the applications you have created is available within the “Applicant” tab in the Research Portal. A status is listed for each application, indicating its progress.
21. How do I know if my co-applicants or collaborators have submitted their SSHRC CCV?
You can check the progress status of any of your co-applicants or collaborators’ SSHRC CCV’s by visiting “Application Overview” within the Research Portal.
Feedback and support
22. I need help using the Research Portal. Whom do I contact?
Follow your funding opportunity’s application instructions, available onscreen within the Research Portal, to guide you through your Research Portal application.
If you need further help, contact us for support. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern).
23. How can I submit feedback on the Research Portal?
Your feedback on the Research Portal is important to us. Share your comments and suggestions via the “Report this page” link available on all pages within the Research Portal.
24. What is the maintenance schedule for the Research Portal?
The Research Portal is generally unavailable during the following times:
- Saturdays, from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. (Eastern)
- The second Wednesday of each month, from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. (Eastern)
25. Will my existing information in the Research Portal be lost as a result of changes or upgrades to the Portal?
The Research Portal is continuously improving based on feedback received from the research community. Changes or upgrades to the system will not compromise your information.