SSHRC Service Pledge
On this page
- Service mission
- Service vision
- Service commitment
- Client service principles
- Client service values
- Client responsibilities
The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) is the federal research funding agency mandated to promote and support postsecondary-based research and training in the humanities and social sciences. Learn more About SSHRC and its mandate and services.
SSHRC’s service vision is to provide high-quality service and adhere to the highest standards of excellence and impartiality in allocating public research funds.
Service commitment and principles
SSHRC is committed to providing high-quality, professional, client-centred services to the research community, partners and stakeholders, and to the general public.
Client service principles
SSHRC’s client services are grounded in the following principles and values:
- Availability of services in both official languages, and provision of service in the official language of the client’s choice, in compliance with SSHRC’s Official Languages Policy, the Official Languages Act and related Government of Canada legislation and policies.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in the provision of services, in accordance with SSHRC’s commitment to excellence in research and research training through the Tri-agency Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Accessible Canada Act.
- Respect and fairness in the treatment of every person, in accordance with the Values and Ethics Code for the Public Sector.
- Provision of client service through multiple channels (online, email, telephone and mail) and of mechanisms for clients to provide feedback on SSHRC’s services.
- Openness to learning and improving on the systems and tools at the agency’s disposal for continuous improvement of services.
- Protection of the privacy and confidentiality of all clients and compliance with the Privacy Act and Access to Information Act, as well as all relevant Government of Canada legislation and policies.
Client service values
- SSHRC will provide timely responses to client inquiries by phone, email and/or mail during normal business hours and normal operating periods. Delays in the timeliness of responses are expected for complex inquiries and during peak time periods, particularly close to application deadlines.
- In accordance with established schedules for each respective funding opportunity, SSHRC will provide timely acknowledgement of the receipt of funding applications, notification of funding decisions, and financial payments to applicants.
Transparency and accuracy
- SSHRC will provide clear and accurate information on funding opportunities and competition results to its clients.
- SSHRC will, where applicable, notify applicants of the ineligibility of their applications.
- SSHRC will communicate research outcomes and impacts to the research community, partners, stakeholders and the general public, in Canada and internationally.
Ethics and impartiality
- SSHRC will adhere to the highest standards of integrity and ethics in all operations.
- SSHRC will strive for the highest standards of excellence and impartiality in all merit review processes, in accordance with the Principles for SSHRC Merit Review.
Achieving service excellence involves shared responsibilities between SSHRC and its clients, including funding applicants and recipients.
SSHRC’s clients are expected to be respectful in their communication with SSHRC staff.
Responsibilities of funding applicants (including direct applicants and postsecondary institutions) include the accurate and timely submission of complete funding applications and of financial information for research funding payments, in accordance with established deadlines, as specified on SSHRC’s website.
Funding applicants needing accommodations due to circumstances arising from a disability are responsible for contacting their institution as early in the application process as possible to investigate available supports. If the institution cannot provide help, or needs SSHRC to collaborate on a solution, contact email@example.com.
Funding applicants are also responsible for adhering to SSHRC’s Regulations Governing Fellowship and Scholarship Applications and Regulations Governing Grant Applications.
Funding recipients are responsible for adhering to SSHRC’s Regulations Governing the Use of SSHRC Funds, as well as all related SSHRC and tri-agency policies for funding recipients. Recipients are also responsible for maintaining their eligibility to receive SSHRC funding.
- Date modified: