New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) special calls support research that targets emerging areas and aligns with the fund’s overall objectives. The theme and timing of special calls are determined and approved by the Canada Research Coordinating Committee.
Innovative approaches to research in the pandemic context
While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted researchers’ ability to conduct research, particularly community and field-based research, it also provides a unique opportunity, through this call, to explore new, innovative directions in research methodologies.
This call is open to either a nominated principal investigator submitting alone or to a team that may include up to one co-principal investigator and any number of co-applicants and/or collaborators. Steps to apply include submitting a mandatory notice of intent to apply and a subsequent full application.
- Notice of intent deadline:
- Full application deadline:
A multidisciplinary review panel composed of national and international members evaluates the applications according to the selection criteria.
Applicants will be informed of their competition results in January 2022, via the Convergence Portal.
Addressing COVID-19 challenges
On March 6, 2020, the NFRF provided $7 million in funding to support the Government of Canada’s rapid-response research call for addressing COVID-19 challenges. The funding supported 15 research projects focused on exploring and developing medical, social and policy measures, through different disciplines, aimed at combating the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- Funding opportunity details
- Competition key facts and data points
- Award recipients (complete list)
- NFRF-funded projects
- The NFRF 2021 Innovative Approaches to Research in the Pandemic Context competition is open to fund new directions in research methodologies
July 21, 2021
- New Frontiers in Research Fund launches interactive dashboard
November 16, 2020
Exploration Transformation International Special calls
- New Frontiers in Research Fund awards $7 million to address COVID-19 challenges
July 7, 2020
- Date modified: