New Frontiers in Research Fund
Due to COVID-19, some competition deadlines are being revised and some grants are being extended. Learn more about the impacts on the New Frontiers in Research Fund.
Following consultations with Canada’s research community, the New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) was launched in late 2018 to support world-leading interdisciplinary, international, high-risk/high-reward, transformative and rapid-response Canadian research.
The NFRF has three streams that support specific goals and the flexibility to launch special calls:
- Exploration generates opportunities for Canadians to conduct innovative high-risk, high-reward interdisciplinary research.
- Transformation provides large-scale support for Canada to build strength and leadership in interdisciplinary and transformative research.
- International enhances opportunities for Canadian researchers to partner on international projects.
- Special calls are targeted to support emerging research as needed.
The NFRF is designed with unique program characteristics to support its objectives, in terms of its focus on international collaboration as well as its evaluation criteria and review processes. The fund has a budget of $275 million over five years (2018–19 to 2022–23) and will grow to have an annual budget of $124 million in 2023–24.
The NFRF is under the strategic direction of the Canada Research Coordinating Committee. It is administered by the Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat, which is housed within the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), on behalf of Canada’s three research granting agencies: SSHRC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council.
Dashboard of competition data
Check out this interactive dashboard that highlights key data on NFRF competitions, providing insights into how funding is being awarded to the research community.
Help – Convergence Portal:
- The NFRF 2022 Transformation competition is open to support large-scale research projects that address a major challenge
August 24, 2021
- The NFRF 2021 Innovative Approaches to Research in the Pandemic Context competition is open to fund new directions in research methodologies
July 21, 2021
- The New Frontiers in Research Fund 2021 Exploration Competition is now open
July 8, 2021
- Date modified: